By Earl Nightingale
Book #5 to financial independence. You may already know this secret, however, studies show the majority do not follow it. Find out which group you fall under.
Earl Nightingale’s strangest secret is one of the best, straightforward thinking that The Broke Investor has come across to date. The Strangest Secret came out as an audio recording, then Earl Nightingale performed a video recording. The Broke Investor purchased a written copy of both.
Simply put, “We become what we think about.” Now, you may think, “That’s not a secret at all! I knew that.” However, Earl Nightingale points out that out of 100 people by the time retirement comes around: 1 will be rich, 4 will be financially independent, 41 will still be working, and 54 will be BROKE.
Since most of us should already know the strangest secret, why is there such great odds stacked against us? There is a 95% chance that we will NOT be successful.
Study after study shows that the difference between highly successful people and the other bottom 95% are GOALS. Earl Nightingale states, “People with goals succeed because they know where they are going.”
The Broke Investor has already started on his path to success by starting his own S.M.A.R.T. goals. All that can be said is that goals CAN change your ENTIRE life. Imagine if you are playing darts. You NEED something to aim towards, otherwise, the game gets very boring, very quickly. Actually, there wouldn’t be a game at all.
Going back to The Strangest Secret, Earl Nightingale challenges us to, “decide now.” He lays out a 30 day challenge to put the strangest secret to work. What do you want? Do you want to be successful, do you want a new job, do you want to be a top-notch sales person? It is all possible if we can remember, “We become what we think about.”
Earl Nightingale gives us 5 important points:
- Think – You will become what you think about.
- Imagine – Remember the word imagination & let your mind begin to soar.
- Courage – Concentrate on your goal everyday.
- Save – 10% of what you earn.
- Action – Ideas are worthless unless we act on them.
You may be thinking, “OK, I have a goal… Now what?” That’s where the 30-day challenge comes in. Work steadily towards your set goal. Think ONLY in POSITIVE terms & act as if you already have obtained your goal. You’ll find yourself in a better mood all day long.
If you find yourself after 30 days not accomplishing your set goal, DO NOT be put down. Realize that you have now joined the top 5% and if you want to stay there, you MUST continue towards the goal you set yourself out to accomplish. In time, you will obtain your goal and you will want to continue setting more goals to complete.
In addition, we’re given six steps that were handed down by an outstanding doctor:
- Set yourself a definite goal.
- Quit running yourself down.
- Stop thinking of all the reasons why you cannot be successful and instead think of all the reasons you can.
- Trace your attitudes back through your childhood and discover where you first got the idea that you could not be successful if that is the way you’ve been thinking.
- Change the image you have of yourself by writing out a description of the person you would like to be.
- Act the part of the successful person you have decided to become.
Take the 30 day test, rinse, and repeat. You’ll find yourself jumping out of bed to get started. Remember, life is what we make of it. We can let it drag us down or we can let it lift our spirits. With that said, The Broke Investor will leave you with this message, some of you may have already heard it:
“Ask, and it shall be given you.”
“Seek, and ye shall find.”
Knock, and it shall be opened unto you.”
“For every one that asketh, receiveth.”
Keep growing, keep investing.